Monday, October 18, 2010

Themes and Motifs


A story’s theme is a main idea or message that is stressed by the author throughout the novel. These are different from a story’s motifs, which are recurring repeated ideas in the novel. For my life story, an appropriate theme would be that when you push yourself to try harder, you are success. In everything I do from studies, to creative work, to even my own small goals, I find that when I push myself to go that tiny, and sometimes uncomfortable extra step, I am highly satisfied with the result. The motifs that can be found intricately laced within my life story often show themselves in the form of rewards that follow an achievement. One common motif is a well-deserved vacation after a grueling school year. Another could be a delicious night out after a week of hard work. 
Last year, when reading To Kill A Mockingbird, a common motif that was noticed was birds. Bird references appeared in instances such as the book’s title and the last name “Finch”. The theme of the novel was learning to stand up for what you believe is right. Harper Lee expressed this message through the lessons Scout learned growing up as the daughter of a lawyer who fights for what he feels is justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment